Baking the cornbread in a cast iron skillet insures a crisp crust and soft interior. However, if cast iron isn’t available, an 8 x 8” square pan can be used with good results. One small package of cornbread mix fits perfectly in a 6 or 7” cast iron skillet; double the recipe for a 9 or 10” skillet.
1 tablespoon bacon fat, or shortening
1 7 1/2 ounce package yellow corn bread mix, such as Jiffy (with sugar)
1/2 cup milk
1 cup packed grated zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Measure the bacon fat or shortening into a 6-7" cast iron skillet and place it in the oven to melt while the oven heats.
- Mix the cornbread mix, milk, egg, and zucchini just until barely mixed; the batter should not be smooth.
- When the oven is hot, remove the cast iron skillet and pour the batter in.
- Bake 20-22 minutes or until set.
- Remove from the oven, cut into wedges and serve hot with real butter.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 189 Calories from Fat 61
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 32% Protein 8% Carb. 59%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 40 mg
Sodium 254 mg
Total Carbohydrate 28 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 4% Calcium 0% Iron 1%