1½ lb beef tenderloin
2 tsp pre- chopped garlic
1 large green bell pepper
1 large green onion
2 tbsp peanut oil
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp hot bean paste
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
- Remove all of the fat from the meat. Then cut it into thin strips and place these strips in a container with a tight fitting lid to be marinated.
- Add the marinade in the following order. First, add the soy sauce and stir it in thoroughly. Then sprinkle in the sugar using your hand to make sure that it coats each piece of meat. Next add the cornstarch, again using your hand to make sure that it is evenly distributed. Cover and let the meat marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- While the meat marinates, prepare the other ingredients.
- Remove the stem from the green pepper. Cut it in half and remove the seeds and the inner white meat. Then rinse the pepper halves under cold water and dry them with pepper towels. Cut each half into very thin strips and set them aside.
- Rinse the green onion under cold water and dry it with paper towels. Cut the base and about an inch from the top of the green stalk and discard. Then cut the remaining part of the stalk into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- In a cup, mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce and set this mixture aside.
- Once the beef has marinated heat a wok on high. Once hot, add one tablespoon of the peanut oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot, add the beef and stir fry for just one to two minutes. The center of each piece should still be lightly pink.
- Once cooked, remove the meat from the wok, return the wok to the heat and add the remaining tablespoon of peanut oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the green pepper and stir fry for 3 minutes or until soft.
- Add the sauce mixture and beef and stir until heated. Stir in the green onions and remove the wok from the heat.
- Stir in the sesame oil and serve. This is great served over white steamed rice. Makes 2 large servings.