This salad is fast to put together, since it contains timesaving convenience foods. The tortellini takes 10-12 minutes to cook, and the remaining ingredients can be prepared while it’s cooking; after draining, a quick rinse under cold water cools it quickly. To save time, purchase mushrooms already sliced, bacon that is already cooked and crumbled, canned olives that are already sliced, and cheese that is already grated. Fresh spinach is readily available in the salad department and is cleaned and ready to go. Ranch dressing can be bottled or prepared from a package in less than 10 minutes.
Since kids love ranch dressing and tortellini, they may eat this spinach without parental coaxing; they may even request this salad on their own.
8 ounces dried cheese-filled tortellini
1 cup ranch dressing, divided
1/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup cooked crumbled bacon
2 1/4 ounces sliced black olives
1 cup grated Swiss cheese
8 cups fresh spinach leaves
- Bring a large pan of water to boil and add a teaspoon of salt.
- Add the tortellini and cook until just tender according to package directions.
- When the tortellini is done, drain it well in a colander and rinse with cold water.
- Place in a serving bowl and stir in 1/2 cup ranch dressing.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving time (up to 1 day ahead).
- Just before serving, stir in the mushrooms, bacon, olives, and Swiss cheese.
- Toss with the spinach leaves, adding enough additional ranch dressing to moisten; serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 190 Calories from Fat 70
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 37% Protein 20% Carb. 43%
Nutrient Amount per
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 34 mg
Sodium 176 mg
Total Carbohydrate 21 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 9 g
Vitamin A 78% Vitamin C 28% Calcium 0% Iron 10%