Every year when it is the first week in September, I get that old familiar funny flip flop feeling in my stomach. That feeling reminds me that school is starting. Like most adults im not in school anymore, but I still get that feeling I would describe as a little bit excited, a little worried about the upcoming school year, and a lot of missing the summer and hating to see it end. I think most of us feel this way, whether we are children or adults, the feeling never leaves as long as we live.
Thinking back to when I was a kid, it was a different generation. Parents twenty years ago did not have the same kind of knowledge about how to help their children do well in school. In this day and age we have so much information at our fingertips, and this is a great thing because it gives us the best chance of helping our children become the best people they can be.
The following are a few simple guidelines for helping your child to do well in school, and feel good about school in general. I hope you will find the information helpful.
* Establish a home routine that will help your child to feel safe and secure
* Use positive talk about school and new experiences
* Encourage your child to be a good friend to other children. That is after all the key to making friends : )
* Remind your child that school can be fun
* Teach your child the importance of eating healthy foods
* Encourage healthy sleep habits
* Let your child know they can come to you and talk about anything
* Establish a routine of talking to your child about their day and life
* Give children a quiet and safe place to study at home
* Establish and encourage daily study time
* Give lots of hugs and kisses to your kids and let them know you love them
* Do things that help your child to feel loved and secure as a person. How good you make them feel will influence how they interact with the world and other people.
* Remember everyday to say i love you to your child. They are your most precious gift.