Chances are that the ingredients for these cookies are already on the pantry shelf or in the refrigerator, since all that is needed is brown sugar, salt, cocoa, evaporated milk, butter, vanilla, and oatmeal; the finished product is a cross between fudge and a chewy cookie. These cookies can be changed to accommodate personal preferences, too. Try adding 1/2 cup of favorite nuts along with the oatmeal, or 1/2 cup peanut butter with the evaporated milk. Dried cranberries, raisins, toffee bits, and crunchy cereals such as cornflakes and crisped rice can also be added for different flavor and texture. Chocoholics will want to add the greater amount of cocoa, while those who prefer milder chocolate will be happy with the smaller amount.
These cookies are a blast from the past; it would be surprising to find someone who hasn’t made these themselves, or at least tasted them. Recipes often get forgotten or pushed to the back of the recipe file; this quick simple classic is worth introducing again.
Makes about 40 walnut size cookies
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup evaporated milk
2 cups brown sugar
1/3 to 1/2 cup cocoa
1 pinch salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups quick cooking rolled oats
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment or waxed paper; set aside.
- Mix the butter, evaporated milk, brown sugar, cocoa, and salt in a saucepan.
- Cover the pan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring once or twice.
- When the mixture boils, remove the lid, stir well, and let boil for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla; add the oats and stir until well mixed.
- Using a tablespoon-sized scoop (or if a scoop isn’t available, two teaspoons), scoop balls of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Let the cookies sit at room temperature until set, 10-15 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 75 Calories from Fat 27
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 36% Protein 7% Carb. 57%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 7 mg
Sodium 92 mg
Total Carbohydrate 11 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 3%