This casserole has everything you’d find on a cheeseburger – bun, meat, pickles, mustard, ketchup, cheese; the topping is crispy fries. In fact, the only things missing are the preservatives and additives that are so prevalent in fast food. Don’t forget the soft drinks. With the money saved, a healthy salad can be added as an accompaniment.
Convenience products – refrigerator biscuits, canned soups, pre-shredded cheese, and frozen French fries - cut prep time and make this casserole easy enough to serve on a weeknight.
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 large red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
1/3 cup hot dog relish, (the kind with mustard)
1 10 3/4 ounce can tomato soup
1/4 cup ketchup
2 7.5 oz. cans refrigerated biscuits, (20 biscuits)
1 10 3/4 ounce can cheddar cheese soup
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 20-ounce frozen shoestring fries
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Spray a shallow glass 9 x 13" casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Brown the ground beef with the onions in a large skillet.
- Add the hot dog relish, tomato soup, and ketchup.
- Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and let cook 5 minutes.
- Place the refrigerated biscuits in the bottom of the prepared casserole and press them together to form a crust.
- Spread the ground beef mixture over the biscuit crust.
- Spread the cheddar cheese soup over the top of the ground beef mixture; sprinkle with the cheddar cheese.
- Sprinkle the shoestring fries over the cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the fries are crisp, 25-35 minutes.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 496 Calories from Fat 241
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 49% Protein 18% Carb. 33%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 27 g
Saturated Fat 14 g
Cholesterol 75 mg
Sodium 877 mg
Total Carbohydrate 41 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 22 g
Vitamin A 11% Vitamin C 26% Calcium 0% Iron 15%