The dish can be made up to two days ahead and refrigerated. It can then be either baked in a casserole dish or stuffed into a turkey on the day of the dinner.
8 1/2 cup Servings or about 4 cups stuffing
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 pound sage pork sausage
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup Craisins
1/4 cup butter
1 6 oz. package stuffing mix, turkey or chicken flavored (such as Stove Top)
2 1/2 cups water
5 small fresh sage leaves, finely chopped, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a 2 quart round casserole dish and set aside.
- Place the pecans on a baking sheet and bake 8-10 minutes or until they smell good and begin to brown slightly.
- Remove from the oven, cool slightly, and coarsely chop; set aside.
- Meanwhile, brown the sausage in a large deep skillet.
- Remove the sausage to a wire strainer and drain well.
- Return the sausage to the skillet and turn the heat to high.
- Add the Craisins and wine and stir over high heat until the wine is evaporated.
- Add the butter; stir to melt.
- Stir in the stuffing mix and spice packet.
- Stir until coated with the butter and add the water and sage leaves if using.
- Transfer to the prepared casserole dish, smooth out, and cover tightly with foil. The stuffing may be refrigerated at this point for up to 2 days.
- Bake 15 minutes (longer if it has been in the refrigerator); uncover and bake 15-20 minutes or until the top is slightly crisp and the stuffing is heated through.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 305 Calories from Fat 207
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 68% Protein 9% Carb. 22%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 23 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 34 mg
Sodium 671 mg
Total Carbohydrate 17 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 3 g
Protein 7 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 16%