Supposedly the Ancient Mayan Long Count Calendar goes no further than December 21, 2012. Looking for an answer to this mystery, predictors of doom have decided that the Mayans knew something about the world’s future – or lack of. In truth, we have no way of knowing what the Ancient Mayans thought would happen at the end of their calendar and there is no scientific evidence that there will be catastrophe but there are many theories. Listed below, are a few of them.
- Nuclear war destroys the earth.
- Our planet may be struck and destroyed by an asteroid, meteor or comet.
- There will be a solar storm or Coronal Mass Ejection from the sun. CME’s are large flares or ejections of mass from the Sun. They can trigger disturbances in the Earth’s magnetic field.
- Magnetic Pole Shift – when the magnetic poles swap places. They were discovered when, in the early 20th century, geologists noticed that some volcanic rocks were magnetized in a direction opposite to what was expected and are said to happen about every 400,000 years. The last one happened 730,000 years ago. From this it is theorized that we are over due. Some think that these shifts are harmless. Others think they could make huge changes in our earth.
- Some predict spiritual restoration. The kind of restoration predicted depends on the spiritual belief of the one predicting.
- Some believe they have discovered a secret Bible Code that gives DEC 21, 2012 AD, as the actual date when Antichrist breaks his peace treaty with Israel and sets up the Abomination that brings about Desolation.
Enough! Any two of these predictions and theories are enough to give anyone nightmares.
As Christians, why should we worry about the end of the world? Jesus says, in Matthew 24:36, that no one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.
I believe that all of the theories of doom are designed by the deceiver to draw us away from our main purpose – to believe in Christ and to live every day serving Him. Christians are to spend their time living as the Bible teaches, loving one another, worshipping and praying, and let God take care of the rest.
John 3:16 tells me that God sent His son so that by believing in Him I have eternal life. That eternal life starts now, at the moment of belief. I don’t have to wait until Jesus returns, until I die in this life, or until the end of the world, to experience the joy and the peace of the God’s love. I live in it now.
A Walk With the Women of the Bible
EBook by Lynne Chapman
Join me in getting to know some amazing women of the Bible
while we extract valuable insights and lessons from their lives.
Names of God Ebook
Almighty God. The Creator of heaven and earth.
Our God is given names in Scripture that describe the characteristics of His personality.
Experience God through the names given Him in Scripture.