To watch a video of these instructions click here.
1 lb fresh large shrimp
3 broccoli crowns
5oz of pre shredded carrots
2 to 3 cups peanut oil
1 ½ tbsp stir fry oil
1 tsp shao hsing wine
1 tsp salt
1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
1 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp shao hsing wine
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
- Remove all of the shells and tails from the shrimp and then devein them.
- Place the shrimp in a bowl and add the marinade in the following steps. First add the shao hsing wine and the salt using your hand to make sure that each piece is thoroughly coated. Then slowly add in the cornstarch again using your hand until it is evenly distributed. Let the shrimp marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- While the shrimp marinate, prepare the broccoli. Cut the florets off the crowns and then break any large florets into smaller pieces. Place the broccoli pieces in a large microwave safe bowl and cover them with hot water. Microwave them on high for about 2 minutes, or just until slightly soft, but still crisp. This is comparable to parboiling. Keep in mind we want the broccoli to still be crisp in the final dish. When the broccoli is done, drain it in a colander and set it aside.
- In a large cup, mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce except for the cornstarch. Then set this mixture aside.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with just a little water until it dissolves. This will be the thickener for the sauce.
- Once the shrimp has marinated, add the 2 to 3 cups of peanut oil to a wok and heat it on high.
- When the oil is hot (350F) add the shrimp and let them cook for 30 seconds to a minute, or just until pink. Then remove them with a slotted spoon or spatula and place them on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Remove all of the oil from the wok and wipe it out with a paper towel. Then return it to the high heat and add the stir fry oil.
- Once the oil is hot add the carrots and stir fry them for 1 minute.
- Then add the broccoli and stir fry everything for another minute.
- Add the sauce and then the cornstarch mixture. Let the sauce come to a boil, stirring until it thickens.
- Once the sauce thickens, return the shrimp to the wok and stir until everything is thoroughly coated with the sauce.
- Serve immediately with either white or fried rice. Makes 2 to 3 servings.