Other times of the year when fruitcake and Christmas pudding aren’t available, this versatile cheesecake can be made with any leftover dense cake or quick bread such as carrot cake, banana bread, date nut bread, or even cranberry orange bread.
Christmas Pudding Cheesecake
1 1/4 cups gingersnap crumbs
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons melted butter
3 8 oz. packages cream cheese
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons lemon extract
2 cups Christmas pudding, cut into 1/4" cubes, homemade or store-bought, or substitute fruit cake
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
1 pinch salt
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup water
2 tablespoons sherry
2 cups sweetened whipped cream
- Crust: In processor mix the gingersnap crumbs, sugar, and butter.
- Press the mixture into a 10" springform pan.
- Bake the crust for 9 minutes in a preheated 350° oven.
- Remove the crust from oven.
- Filling: Blend the filling ingredients except Christmas pudding in the food processor until smooth (alternately use a mixer).
- Stir in the pudding pieces, then pour the batter over the crust and bake 45 minutes to one hour or until the center is set.
- Chill before removing from pan.
- Topping: Mix the sugar, flour, and salt.
- Whisk in the butter and water.
- Microwave for 2 minutes; whisk until smooth and microwave for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the mixture boils.
- Whisk until smooth, add the sherry, and let cool.
- To serve: cut the cheesecake into 20 wedges; spoon some sauce over each wedge and top with whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 355 Calories from Fat 182
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 51% Protein 5% Carb. 43%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 20 g
Saturated Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 94 mg
Sodium 273 mg
Total Carbohydrate 38 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 28 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 14% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 8%