For those in a bigger hurry, onions, celery, and peppers can be purchased already chopped in the frozen vegetable section or the produce section of many larger grocery stores. Frozen potato chunks or country style hash browns can be used in place of fresh potatoes.
Donít reserve this fabulous soup just for the soup course when entertaining; it is also hearty and makes a great family dinner on a busy night, especially accompanied by crusty bread and a salad.
1 tablespoon butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
4 cups water
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" chunks
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 cups basic Cream Soup Mix
1 pound lump crabmeat
1/2 cup whipping cream
- Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven; add the onion, celery, and red and green bell pepper; sautť until tender.
- Add the water, potatoes, and 1 teaspoon salt, Tabasco, black pepper, Old Bay seasoning, and thyme to the vegetables and bring to a boil.
- When the potatoes are tender, whisk in the cream soup mix and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer and cook 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the crab and whipping cream.
- Keep on the heat for a minute or two, stirring until it is just heated through.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 361 Calories from Fat 144
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 40% Protein 18% Carb. 42%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 16 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 103 mg
Sodium 1056 mg
Total Carbohydrate 38 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 16 g
Vitamin A 17% Vitamin C 61% Calcium 0% Iron 12%