An Aussie meat pie is something to behold. It is designed to be big enough to sate the appetite, but small enough to fit in one hand, and most importantly round enough to fit in one hand and be eaten in a way that the gravy doesn't drip.
Attend any football game during the footy season and you will witness the exquisite performance of man eating an aussie pie without 1. missing the game, 2. wasting any part of the pie by spillage, 3. have it eaten it in one hand (the other obviously holding a stubby of beer) and 4. eaten it in two shakes of a lambs tail!!
Traditional pies are basically meat and gravy in a pastry case. But of course over the years pies have evolved into something of a work of art. But for arguments sake, I'm going to give you my recipe for the meat pies I make for my family. They're still small in shape, but yummy in taste. Enjoy!
Australia Meat Pie Recipe
1 ounce butter
2 small onion, finely chopped
2 pounds chopped sirloin steak or chuck steak for a cheaper cut.
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 1/2 cups beef stock
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup chopped parsley
salt and pepper, to taste
1 pinch nutmeg
1 egg, beaten
Shortcrust pastry from the freezer section of your supermarket
4 small pie tins(greased) & baking tray
Tomato sauce (ketchup)
Making the pie filling:
1. Melt butter in saucepan.
2. Add onions and fry over moderate heat until onions soften.
3. Add beef and fry pressing down with fork until beef is browned.
4. Drain, sprinkle flour over beef, stir an continue cooking for a further 2 minutes.
5. Remove pan from heat.
6. Gradually add stock. Return pan to the heat and stir constantly until mixture boils and thickens.
7. Add all remaining ingredients.
8. Cover pan and simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes.
9. Line greased pie tins with pastry. Prick the base several times with a fork. Using a knife trim off excess pastry. Spoon filling in.
10.Brush around edge with beaten egg.
11. Top with pastry pressing edges together.
12. Cut a hole in center of pie to let any steam out and help to make the pastry crispy. Brush with remaining egg.