These sweet potato cupcakes are the perfect holiday dessert. They are rich and dense filled with a chocolate gananche. The cupcakes are finished with gooey toasted marshmallow in place of frosting.
Chocolate Sweet Potato Cupcake Recipe
Makes 12 cupcakes
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon ginger
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1 cup mashed sweet potato (mashed from 1 medium sweet potato or if you prefer you may purchase canned sweet potato puree)
1. Combine the chocolate chips and heavy whipping cream in a small sauce pan and heat over low heat.
2. Stir until it is melted and smooth.
3. Refrigerate the chocolate for 1 hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
5. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg in a mixing bowl and set aside.
6. In a large mixing bowl combine the butter and sugars and cream with an electric mixer.
7. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each.
8. Add the vanilla, milk, sweet potato and beat until incorporated.
9. Slowly add the flour mixture, adding a little at a time and beating after each addition.
10. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners/wrappers.
11. Spoon 1/4 cup of batter into each cupcake liner.
12. Remove the chocolate from the refrigerator.
13. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of chocolate on top of that batter.
14. Top with additional batter, almost to the top.
15. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
16. Allow the cupcakes to cool.
17. Top with marshmallow, a few mini marshmallows each or 1 large marshmallow.
18. Place the cupcakes in the oven and set to broil. It will only take a minute or 2 for the marshmallow to toast, watch them carefully.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!