This Groundhog Pie is a simple meat and potatoes pie with cheese; it can be put together quickly, since the potatoes are microwaved while the ground hog is browning with the onions. While the recipe calls for Lawry’s seasoned salt, any favorite seasoning salt can be substituted. Homemade pie crust is the best, but for a busy weeknight, the ready rolled crusts found in the dairy case at the grocery store will do just fine. Frozen crusts work too, but they should be the last resort since they tend to be dry and tasteless.
Packaged tossed salad and/or a favorite vegetable will round out the meal. Those who aren’t counting carbs might also add some crusty bread and butter.
1 1/2 pounds potatoes, 2-3 medium
1 pound ground pork
1 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons Lawry's seasoned salt (or other favorite seasoning salt)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 9" unbaked pie shell
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 cup hottest tap water
2 teaspoons granular chicken bouillon, or 2 bouillon cubes
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Scrub the potatoes, poke them in several places with a fork, and microwave 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, brown the ground pork and onion in a skillet; sprinkle with the seasoned salt and pepper.
- Drain the mixture well and pour into the unbaked pie shell.
- When the potatoes are done, carefully pull the peel from them with a sharp knife; slice into1/4" slices.
- Arrange the slices over the pork mixture, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Whisk together the hot water and bouillon; add the eggs and whisk until smooth.
- Pour over the potatoes.
- Brush the potatoes with the butter.
- Bake the pie 30 minutes; remove from the oven, sprinkle with the cheese, and bake and additional 20-30 minutes or until the cheese is browned and bubbly.
- Let the pie sit 5 minutes before cutting into 8 wedges.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 440 Calories from Fat 229
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 52% Protein 18% Carb. 30%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 25 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 140 mg
Sodium 889 mg
Total Carbohydrate 33 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 20 g
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 24% Calcium 0% Iron 14%