If you are a coin collector, how do you categorize yourself?
There are various ways to collect coins as well as the specialties of collectors. Here is how to differentiate the variety of coin collectors.
The Casual Coin Collector: The Most Common One
You will know that you are a coin collector if...
- you collect coins no matter what your age
- you collect coins randomly just for the fun of it
- you do not pay much money for the preservation and purchase of coins
- you will collect some coins that are already obsolete, those that have been modified and are used my magicians, commemorative coins, those with errors, or those that are out of circulation
- your collection is made more interesting because of the coins given to you as gifts
The Curious Collector: The Second Level
You will be able to recognize yourself as a curious collector if...
- you are more interested in coin collecting than simply collecting them because you received them as gifts
- you don't mind buying coins, especially if they are inexpensive
- you are more interested in browsing coin shops than a casual collector
- you spend time surfing the net looking at coins sold on eBay or other coin sites
- you collect coins without a clear-cut objective
- you are inclined to increase your knowledge of coins and might soon contemplate becoming an advanced coin collector as you establish contact with more serious collectors who might inspire you
The Advanced Collector: The Extreme Collector
You can categorize yourself as an advanced collector if...
- you find yourself smitten by the "Hobby of Kings"
- you are either a “generalist” (a collector who wants to obtain a wide variety of coins) if you can to obtain an amazing collection you’re your available resource; a “completist” (a collector who wants to collect a complete set of a specific type)
- you lack resources and will opt for a smaller number of coins to complete a set, if you are a “completist”
- as a “completist”, you prefer collecting coins from a certain historic period, nation, or you prefer collecting tokens or coins with errors.
No matter what level of coin collecting specialty you choose, it is your choice. What is important is that you find it rewarding and fulfilling.
So, have you found your category yet?