This delicious, slightly spicy soup is hearty enough to serve for lunch with a salad or sandwich, but elegant enough to serve as the soup course at a gourmet dinner. It’s quick and easy enough to serve anytime, even on a weeknight.
Quick Cajun Shrimp Bisque
3 cups water
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning, without salt
1 1/4 pounds raw shrimp with shells
3 cups water
1 cup Basic Creole Sauce
3 cups basic Cream Soup Mix
Chopped chives, for garnish
- Place 3 cups water, Cajun seasoning, and shrimp in a saucepan; cover and bring to a boil.
- Uncover and cook the shrimp until they are just pink.
- Immediately pour the mixture into a fine strainer over a bowl, reserving the broth.
- Pour the strained broth into a large soup pot.
- Place 3 cups water with the Basic Creole Sauce and Basic Cream Soup Mix in the blender; blend until smooth.
- Whisk the mixture into the broth.
- Bring to a boil, whisking occasionally, until the mixture thickens.
- Meanwhile, peel the shrimp and discard shells and tails; coarsely chop.
- When the soup is thickened and boiling, turn down to a simmer and stir in the coarsely chopped shrimp.
- Heat through and serve immediately sprinkled with the chives.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 316 Calories from Fat 119
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 38% Protein 33% Carb. 29%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 176 mg
Sodium 708 mg
Total Carbohydrate 23 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 26 g
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 3% Calcium 0% Iron 13%