Makes 10 packages of ground beef mixture, approximately 2 cups each
10 pounds lean (preferably less than 10% fat) ground beef
4 cloves garlic, finely minced, (optional)
5 cups onions, finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Place half of the ground beef in each of two or three skillets over medium heat.
- divide the garlic and onions among the skillets.
- Sprinkle each of the mixtures with salt and pepper.
- Brown the beef over medium heat, stirring occasionally, and breaking up the meat, until it is cooked through, no red remains in the meat, and the onions are soft.
- Transfer each of the mixtures to a strainer over the sink and drain any residual fat. (There should be very little if lean ground beef is used)
- Cool and package in 10 Ziploc-type bags.
- Label the bags and freeze.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 166 Calories from Fat 101
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 61% Protein 36% Carb. 3%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 53 mg
Sodium 221 mg
Total Carbohydrate 1 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 15 g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 7%