Since this Italian Fish Bake has great Italian flavors and is meatless, it’s a great choice for a St. Joseph’s Day Table if there are plans to celebrate St. Joseph’s Day on March 19th. It’s delicious, however, anytime of the year since the ingredients are always readily available. Complete the meal with a tossed green salad and crusty Italian bread.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup diced red onions
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup diced red bell peppers
4 cups fresh baby spinach, tightly packed
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 pound sole fillets, or other thinly sliced mild white fish such as tilapia or cod
1 cup basic Cream Soup Mix
1 cup water
1 cup spaghetti sauce, or marinara sauce
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add the onion and garlic; sauté for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots and bell peppers; sauté for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and stir until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Transfer the vegetable mixture to a shallow 2 quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle the mixture with a little salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Lay the fish fillets over the vegetable mixture; sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- Cover the dish and bake for 10 minutes.
- While the fillets are baking, whisk the cream soup mix and water until smooth.
- Microwave for 1 minute; whisk and microwave 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the spaghetti sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the fish; top with crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Return the dish to the oven and bake an additional 20 minutes or until bubbly.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 259 Calories from Fat 102
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 40% Protein 28% Carb. 32%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 37 mg
Sodium 694 mg
Total Carbohydrate 21 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 18 g
Vitamin A 94% Vitamin C 55% Calcium 0% Iron 12%