To watch a video of these instructions click here.
1 lb large raw deveined shrimp
1 tsp Shao Hsing wine
1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
2 to 3 cups peanut oil
2.8oz package of Lee Kum Kee’s spicy garlic sauce for egg plant (feel free to use another brand if available)
- Remove all of the shells and the tails from the shrimp. If they are not already deveined, then remove the veins as well.
- Place the cleaned shrimp in a container that has a tight fitting lid. Then add the Shao Hsing wine and use your hand to mix it in thoroughly.
- Next add the cornstarch sprinkling in a little at a time and using your hand to make sure that each piece of shrimp is thoroughly coated.
- Place the lid on the shrimp and let it marinate for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Once the shrimp marinate, heat the peanut oil on high.
- When the oil reaches 350F add in ½ of the shrimp and let them cook for 1 minute, or just until they turn pink. We want to cook the shrimp in 2 batches so that we don’t over crowd the wok. Also, try to keep the oil temperature at 350F. The best way to do this is by using an oil thermometer.
- Once the shrimp turn pink, remove them with a wire sieve and place them on a plate lined with paper towels. Then continue cooking the remaining ½ of the shrimp.
- After all of the shrimp are cooked, remove the oil from the wok and wipe it out with a paper towel.
- Then to the wok add the package of spicy garlic sauce and heat it on high.
- Once it’s hot, add the shrimp and stir until they are coated with the sauce.
- Then remove the wok from the heat and serve immediately. This is delicious served with fried rice and stir fried mixed vegetables. Makes about 3 servings.