To see a video of these instructions click here.
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 dried shiitake mushrooms
6 to 8 dried black mushrooms
1 green onion stalk
2 tbsp stir fry oil
14oz bag coleslaw mix or 2 cups chopped Napa cabbage
¼ tsp garlic salt
6 to 8 moo shu pancakes
½ tsp sugar
2 tbsp soy
1 tbsp sherry
1 tbsp cornstarch
½ tbsp stir fry oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
½ tbsp sherry
1 tsp sugar
- Soak the mushrooms in warm water for 30 minutes or until they expand.
- While the mushrooms soak, remove all of the fat from the chicken and cut each breast into small thin pieces.
- Place the chicken pieces in a container that has a tight fitting lid. Then add the marinade in the following steps.
- First add the sugar by sprinkling it in and using your hand to make sure that it hits each piece of meat. Next add the soy sauce and the sherry. Mix these in thoroughly with your hand. Then slowly sprinkle on the cornstarch using your hand again to evenly coat each chicken piece. Finally add the oil and mix it in thoroughly. Cover the chicken and let it marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating, prepare the other ingredients. Rinse the green onion under cold running water and dry it with a paper towel. Then cut off the base and about an inch or so from the tops of the greens. Chop the remaining stalk into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- Check to see if the mushrooms have expanded. Squeeze the excess water out of them and dry them with paper towels. Then slice them into thin slices and set them aside.
- In a small cup mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce. Set this sauce mixture aside.
- Heat a wok on high and add 1 tablespoon of the stir fry oil. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken and stir fry it for 5 minutes or until it is slightly brown.
- Once the chicken browns, place it on a plate and set it aside.
- Again, heat the wok on high. Then add the remaining tablespoon of stir fry oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot, add the mushrooms and green onions. Then add in the coleslaw mixture or chopped cabbage. Stir until everything is mixed together.
- Next add the garlic salt and stir fry everything until the cabbage becomes soft, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Then return the chicken to the wok and add the sauce. Stir until everything is mixed together thoroughly, and then remove it from the heat.
- Serve with the moo shu pancakes and hoisin sauce.
- To assemble the moo shu, place a pancake on a plate, spread a thin vertical line of hoisin sauce, and then top with the moo shu filling. Fold in the sides and enjoy. Makes 6 to 8 servings