Lima beans aren't the most popular vegetable around, but they drop down into the butter and get crispy; at my house there is actually a fight for them. Regular green beans may be substituted for the limas, but they aren't as good. This dinner can be put together quickly and, once put in the electric frying pan, will cook without supervision in 30-40 minutes.
If an electric frying pan isn't available, this dinner may also be made in a large oven-going frying pan (preferably 3-4" deep); however it takes quite a bit longer to cook in the oven. Place the ingredients in the pan as in the recipe, but once the potatoes and meatloaf have browned, bake at 325 for 60-75 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
2 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped or 2 tablespoons dried
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon Lawry's seasoned salt (or any favorite seasoning salt such as lemon pepper, broiled steak seasoning, etc.)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup butter (1 cube)
6 medium potato, scrubbed and halved lengthwise
3 carrots, cut in 3" chunks
1 12 oz. package frozen lima beans (baby limas are okay, but the big ones are better)
1 large onion, quartered
Freshly ground black pepper
- Mix the ground beef, chopped onion, egg, bread crumbs, tomato sauce, seasoning salt, and pepper.
- Form the mixture into a loaf about 2 inches thick.
- With a sharp knife, score the top about 1/4" deep in a diamond pattern; chill if not using immediately.
- Melt the butter in a large electric frying pan set at 350.
- Place the meatloaf in the center; place the potatoes, cut side down, around the sides.
- On one side, place the carrots over the potatoes; on the other side, sprinkle the lima beans.
- Place the onion quarters on the meat.
- Sprinkle pepper over the vegetables.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes; lower the heat to 200 and cook, without removing the lid, for about 30 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked through.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 417 Calories from Fat 178
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 43% Protein 20% Carb. 37%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 20 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 91 mg
Sodium 818 mg
Total Carbohydrate 39 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 21 g
Vitamin A 113% Vitamin C 41% Calcium 0% Iron 19%