2 green onions
3 cups peanut oil
4 cod fillets sliced thin
2 tbsp stir fry oil
½ tsp crushed red pepper
2/3 cup flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 tsp garlic salt
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp white pepper
1/3 cup water
- Rinse the green onions under cold running water and dry them with paper towels. Then cut about an inch from the tops of the greens and the very bottom of their bases and discard. Next cut the remaining stalks into small slices less than 1/8 inch thick and set these pieces aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, cornstarch, garlic salt, ground ginger and white pepper. Using a fork stir everything together making sure that it is thoroughly mixed.
- In a smaller bowl, beat the eggs. Then add the water to the eggs and mix it together.
- Take the egg mixture and add it to the flour mixture stirring until a batter forms.
- In a wok or large non stick pot, heat the peanut oil on high.
- Once the oil reaches 350F, slowly dip each piece of fish into the batter and then gently place it in the oil. Then let the fish pieces cook for about 3 to5 minutes, or until they turn golden brown. Depending on the size of your wok or pot, you may need to cook the fish in batches.
- Once they turn golden brown, remove them from the oil and place them on a plate lined with paper towels.
- When all of the fish pieces are cooked, keep the oil on high and let it again reach 350F.
- Once it reaches 350F, re fry all of the fish pieces a second time for just 1 minute. Then remove them and place them on a clean plate lined with paper towels.
- After all of the fish pieces are fried a second time, remove all of the oil from the wok and heat the wok on high.
- Once the wok it hot, add the stir fry oil.
- When the stir fry oil is hot, add the green onions and crushed red pepper. Stir fry them for 30 seconds to a minute, or just until fragrant. Then return the fish pieces to the wok, gently stirring them so that they become coated with the red pepper and green onions.
- Next remove the fish, place it on a plate and serve. This is great served with fired rice and stir fried mixed vegetables. Makes 3 servings.