I was not sure what to expect when making a crock pot chocolate cake. I love the idea of sinful desserts that are low maintenance. I always rely on my crockpot (also referred to as slow cooker) for easy dinners. It is one of my favorite ways to cook a meal; but had never used it to make a dessert. I figured it was time to give it a try. This chocolate lava cake is a chocolaty, gooey dessert. It is best served warm and was delicious when topped with vanilla ice cream. Keep in mind this is not the type of cake to make if you are looking for a beautiful presentation. You basically scoop it out with a spoon. But who cares about presentation if it tastes good. I used peanut butter chips in this cake but you can easily replace them with semi-sweet chocolate chips. This is a great dessert for a potluck or large group. No one will expect this cake was made in the crock pot.
Chocolate Lava Crock Pot Cake Recipe
1 chocolate cake mix (I used devilís food chocolate cake mix)
1/2 cup canola oil
1 1/4 cup of water
1 box instant chocolate pudding
2 cups of milk
1 12 oz. bag of peanut butter chips
Vanilla ice cream
Slow cooker liners for easy clean up
1. Grease the slow cooker with cooking spray. Or if using the slow cooker liner spray a little cooking spray on that.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine cake mix, eggs, oil, and water.
3. Whisk until combined and without lumps.
4. Pour the batter into the crockpot.
5. In a medium mixing bowl combine the pudding and the milk.
6. Whisk for 2 minutes until smooth.
7. Pour the pudding over the cake batter in the crock pot.
8. Do not stir the pudding in; it will just sit on top.
9. Pour the peanut butter chips over the pudding.
10. Cook on high for 2 1/2 hours.
11. Serve immediately with ice cream.
12. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator. Reheat left overs in the microwave right before serving. This was just as good the second day.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!