1 pkg firm or extra firm tofu
10 fresh shiitake mushrooms
1 can straw mushrooms
1 tbsp peanut oil
2 tsp jarred pre chopped garlic
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
2 tbsp cooking sherry
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
¼ tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cornstarch
- Drain the tofu thoroughly and cut it into 1 inch cubes. Then place these cubes in a large bowl. Add the marinade and using your hand, slowly mix it in so that it is evenly distributed. Then let the tofu marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- While the tofu marinates prepare the other ingredients. Clean the shiitake mushrooms by gently wiping them with a paper towel. Then remove all of the stems and cut the caps in half. Set these shiitakes aside.
- Open and drain the can of straw mushrooms and set them aside.
- In a large cup, mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce except for the cornstarch and then set this mixture aside.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with just a little water until it dissolves. Then set this mixture aside.
- Heat a wok on high. Once hot add the peanut oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot, add the pre chopped garlic and stir fry it for about 30 seconds, or just until fragrant.
- Then add the shiitake and straw mushrooms and stir fry them for 2 minutes.
- Next, add the sauce and bring everything to a boil. Once it boils, turn the heat to low and let it simmer for just 1 minute.
- After a minute, add the cornstarch mixture and stir continuously until the sauce slightly thickens.
- Add the tofu and carefully stir until the pieces are coated with the sauce. Cook everything on low for another 2 minutes, or until the tofu is heated through.
- Then remove it from the heat and serve. This is delicious served with either white or fried rice. Makes about 3 to 4 servings.