10 fresh shiitake mushrooms
4oz whole white button mushrooms
6oz fresh oyster mushrooms
1 can straw mushrooms
1 inch piece fresh ginger
2 green onions
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 ½ tbsp peanut oil
6 tbsp chicken or vegetable broth
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp hot chili oil
¼ cup ketchup
- Clean the shiitake, white button, and oyster mushrooms by gently wiping them with a paper towel.
- Then remove all of the stems from the shiitake mushrooms and cut the caps in half. Set these shiitakes aside.
- Next, cut the white button mushrooms in half and set them aside.
- Open and drain the can of straw mushrooms and set them aside.
- Peel the ginger and then grate it using a micro plane grater and set it aside.
- Rinse the green onions under cold running water and dry them with paper towels. Then cut about an inch from the tops of the greens and the very bottom of their bases and discard. Then cut the remaining stalks into small slices less than 1/8 inch thick and set these pieces aside.
- Prepare the sauce in a large cup. First mix together the chicken broth, sugar and salt, and stir until the sugar and salt are slightly dissolved. Then add in the hot chili oil and ketchup. Stir and set the sauce aside.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with just a little water until it dissolves. Then set this mixture aside.
- Heat a wok or large non stick pot on high. Once hot add the peanut oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot, add the ginger and green onion and stir fry them for about 30 seconds.
- Then add the mushrooms and stir fry them for 2 minutes.
- Next, add the sauce and bring everything to a boil. Then turn the heat to low and let it simmer for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, add the cornstarch mixture and stir continuously until the sauce becomes thick.
- Then remove it from the heat and serve. These mushrooms make an excellent side dish to grilled or roasted chicken. Makes about 3 servings.