Originally made with dried pork cheeks (guanciale), most modern recipes use pancetta or lean, thick-sliced bacon. The dish can be made in less than 30 minutes. Al Padovano, a traditional restaurant in Rome near Porta Pia, serves an excellent version of Spaghetti all’amatriciana; their version contains red hot pepper which adds extra flavor. The following recipe is very close to that served at Al Padovano, and is sure to become a popular alternative to the ubiquitous spaghetti with meat sauce. While it’s not customary, meatballs from the Basic Meatball Module can be added at the last minute to make a heartier dish. For variety, try serving the sauce over penne or another favorite pasta.
8 ounces pancetta, or thick sliced bacon
1 clove garlic
1 cup onions, very finely chopped
1/3 cup dry white wine
2 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes
1 red chile pepper, seeds and core removed
1/2 teaspoon crushed red hot pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 ounces spaghetti, or similar pasta
6 ounces freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut the pancetta or bacon into strips about 1/2" wide.
- Place the strips in a large skillet and turn the heat to high; let the pancetta cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly (it should not brown).
- Add the garlic and onions; continue stirring over high heat until the onions are limp.
- Add the wine and cook 1 minute.
- Pour into the pan with the pancetta mixture.
- Add the salt and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down and simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil; add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and add the pasta.
- Cook until al dente (done, but still firm to the bite).
- Drain and place in a large pasta bowl.
- Stir the cheese into the pasta sauce and toss it with the pasta.
- Serve immediately with more cheese on top if desired.
Pour the tomatoes into a food processor or blender; add the red chile pepper and process until smooth.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 386 Calories from Fat 138
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 36% Protein 22% Carb. 40%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 32 mg
Sodium 1233 mg
Total Carbohydrate 38 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 21 g
Vitamin A 26% Vitamin C 48% Calcium 0% Iron 17%