This delicious casserole is a full meal; the only accompaniments that might be needed are some crusty bread and a tossed salad if so inclined. The casserole can be assembled the night before and refrigerated until time to bake – just add 15 extra minutes baking time. Although it calls for penne pasta, it’s okay to substitute whatever pasta is on hand, including leftovers.
1/2 pound penne pasta
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
1 small green bell pepper, quartered and sliced
1 small red bell pepper, quartered and sliced
2 pounds zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1/2 pound tomatoes, cut into 1/2" chunks
1/4 cup fresh herbs, chopped
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 cups Italian Meat Mix from the Basic Italian Meat Mix Module
1 26 oz. jar spaghetti sauce
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to boil and add 2 teaspoons salt; add the penne pasta and cook until al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a skillet; add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the peppers and sauté 2 more minutes.
- Stir in the zucchini, tomatoes, herbs, and salt and pepper.
- Stir and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Mix the Italian Meat mix with the spaghetti sauce.
- Spread a small amount of the sauce over the bottom of a deep 4 quart casserole dish.
- Spread the pasta evenly over the bottom of the dish.
- Top with the vegetables.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the vegetables and spread evenly.
- Top with the cheese.
- Bake 30-45 minutes or until bubbly.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 268 Calories from Fat 119
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 45% Protein 20% Carb. 36%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 47 mg
Sodium 660 mg
Total Carbohydrate 24 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 13 g
Vitamin A 32% Vitamin C 58% Calcium 0% Iron 9%