Chicken breasts are inexpensive, and can be purchased in 10 pound packages at warehouse stores. Make sure the package says 97% fat free (or somewhere around that) to avoid getting breasts that have a lot of waste and require a lot of trimming.
To make the chicken noodle soup, add 3 or 4 chicken bouillon cubes to the leftover strained poaching liquid and chopped onions, celery, and carrots (1 cup of each to about 12 cups poaching liquid). Bring to a boil and cook until the vegetables are tender. Add noodles (about 8 ounces in 12 cups liquid) and cook until almost done, then add diced poached chicken and heat. Taste for salt and pepper and add if necessary. Those country style homemade-style noodles are especially good in this soup because they don’t seem to overcook when the soup is reheated. 1 1/2 cups of rice can be added instead of the noodles for Chicken Rice Soup.
About 40 Servings, depending on which recipes in which the chicken is used
1 large onion, quartered
1 cup celery tops and leaves
2 carrots, cut into chunks
2 tablespoons salt
10 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- Place the onion, celery tops, carrots, and salt in a very large soup pot.
- Rinse the chicken breast halves and remove any veins or other gross stuff from them and add them to the pot.
- Cover the chicken with hot water, cover the pan, and bring to a boil.
- Let the chicken boil 15 minutes. The breasts should be almost cooked through; they will continue cooking as they sit to cool. If the chicken breasts are totally frozen, add an additional 10 minutes of boiling time - if they are thawed, they may need only 10 minutes total boiling time.
- Turn off the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Remove the breasts from the poaching liquid and strain the liquid through a fine strainer.
- Package the breasts in freezer bags, about 4 to a bag, and pour about 1/2 cup of the poaching liquid into each bag.
- Seal the bags, label with the name and date, and freeze.
- Use the remaining poaching liquid and 3 or 4 breasts to make chicken noodle soup.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 177 Calories from Fat 64
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 36% Protein 61% Carb. 3%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 76 mg
Sodium 417 mg
Total Carbohydrate 1 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 27 g
Vitamin A 22% Vitamin C 2% Calcium 0% Iron 6%