There are many prepared snack bars available. They are a quick snack to grab after school, while at work, or anytime you need something to tide you over. Check the nutrition labels; look for bars that have less than 200 calories. It might surprise you how many calories are packed into some well-known brands.
Here are some lower calorie options:
1. Fiber one Oats and Chocolate bars have 140 calories and 10 grams of sugar.
2. Special K Chocolate Delight Protein Snack Bars have 110 Calories and 11 grams of sugar.
3. Quaker Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars have 100 calories and 7 grams of sugar.
4. Planter�s Nut-Rition Almond and Chocolate bars have 170 calories and 10 grams of sugar.
5. South Beach Living Whipped Chocolate Almond Snack Bars are the lowest with 100 calories and 6 grams of sugar.
Better yet, know exactly what�s in your bars and make your own. These bars are so quick to make. They only take about 5 minutes to prepare and 20 minutes to bake. They are quick enough to make them once a week and have a quick yummy treat available to grab. This recipe can be modified to suit your taste. Add dried fruit, replace the semi-sweet chocolate chips for white chocolate or add peanuts.
Chocolate Chip Chewy Granola Bars
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup slivered almonds
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13x9 pan.
2. Combine the quick-cooking oats, old-fashioned oats, chocolate chips, almonds, mixed nuts, cinnamon, and sweetened condensed milk together in a large mixing bowl.
3. Spread evenly in the greased pan.
4. Bake in the preheated oven until the edges start to brown, about 20 minutes.
5. The granola bars will need to cool before cutting. When warm they are a bit too gooey to cut and tend to break apart. As they cool they firm up.
Enjoy and Sweeten the Soul with chocolate!