The following recipe for Slow Cooker Enchilada Casserole uses up leftover beans (or canned if there are no leftovers), a bag of corn chips, bottled salsa (or fresh if you have it), and canned green chilies. It can be put together in a matter of minutes and cooks in the slow cooker while the cook is at work or just busy doing other things. To complete the meal, a salad of shredded lettuce topped with a few avocado slices, fresh tomatoes from the garden, and a drizzle of vinaigrette makes a great well-balanced meal with minimum fuss and hands-on time.
While the recipe below calls for chicken from the Poached Chicken Module, it is equally good with the : Turkey Breast Module, : Mexican Meat Mix Module, or the : Ground Beef Module. This recipe can also be made with leftover tortilla chips – plain, nacho flavored, etc. – that have been sitting in the cupboard getting stale.
3 cups refried beans, (or 2 15-ounce cans, thinned with a little water)
4 poached chicken breasts from the poached chicken module, diced
1 4 oz. can diced green chilies
1 9 oz. package chili cheese Fritos, or the equivalent of tortilla chips flavored or unflavored
3 cups medium salsa
3 cups grated cheddar jack cheese
Chopped green onion
- Spread 1/2 of the beans over the bottom of a 4-5 quart slow cooker.
- Sprinkle half of the diced chicken over the beans, then half of the green chilies (with liquid if there is any).
- Coarsely crush the Fritos and spread half over the top of the green chilies, pour 1 1/2 cups of the salsa over the chips, then top with 11/2/cups of the cheese.
- Spread the remaining half of the beans over the cheese, then the remaining chicken, chilies, chips, and salsa.
- Top with the remaining cheese.
- Set the slow cooker to low and cook 4-6 hours.
- Serve with sour cream, chopped green onion, shredded lettuce, and sliced avocados.
Note: this makes a great brunch dish; top each serving with a couple of fried eggs.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 439 Calories from Fat 215
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 49% Protein 25% Carb. 27%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 24 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 68 mg
Sodium 912 mg
Total Carbohydrate 29 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 27 g
Vitamin A 17% Vitamin C 22% Calcium 0% Iron 18%