About 16 1 cup Servings
3 1/2 quarts plain popped popcorn
1 cup cocktail peanuts (optional)
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 250°.
- Line an 11 x 17" jellyroll pan with parchment, or spray with non-stick spray.
- Spray a large bowl with non-stick spray (a giant plastic Tupperware bowl is ideal); add the popcorn and peanuts to the bowl and stir to mix.
- Mix the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt in a heavy saucepan.
- Cover the pan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- When the mixture boils, uncover and wash down the sides with a pastry brush and water.
- Let the mixture boil undisturbed 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and soda (the mixture will foam up).
- Immediately pour the mixture over the popcorn mixture and stir until well-coated.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared jellyroll pan.
- Separate the kernels as best you can.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes, or until crisp.
- When cool, separate the kernels if some are still sticking together, and store in an airtight container.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 171 Calories from Fat 94
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 55% Protein 7% Carb. 38%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 16 mg
Sodium 153 mg
Total Carbohydrate 16 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 4%