This quick stir-fry is sure to become a favorite with everyone. Another time, use leftover chicken or turkey. Shredded pork from the Shredded Pork Module is also a good alternative as well as cooked shrimp. One bonus to this recipe is that it is low in fat and calories, which is very welcome during the holidays when rich and calorie-laden food is the norm.
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 cups ham, cut into 2" strips
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 20 oz. can pineapple chunks, or tidbits
1/4 teaspoon MSG, (optional)
6 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 cup water
1/2 medium onion, cut into 1/2" squares
1 medium carrot, sliced diagonally into thin slices
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into strips
1 cup sugar snap peas, strings removed
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the ham strips and stir-fry until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, mix the brown sugar and cornstarch.
- Drain the pineapple and add the juice to the brown sugar mixture.
- Add the MSG, if using, rice vinegar, ketchup, and water.
- Stir the mixture until smooth and add it to the ham.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and add the onions and carrot.
- Partially cover and let cook until the carrots are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the bell pepper and sugar snap peas; let cook 1 minute or until they are crisp tender.
- Stir in the pineapple, cook just long enough to warm through.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately over rice.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 296 Calories from Fat 53
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 18% Protein 17% Carb. 65%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 29 mg
Sodium 833 mg
Total Carbohydrate 48 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 13 g
Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 117% Calcium 0% Iron 15%
Need a stir-fry pan? You can order one from Amazon.
Circulon Elite Hard Anodized Nonstick 14-Inch Nonstick Open Stir Fry PanWoks & Stir-Fry Pans)
Cuisinart Chef's Classic Stainless 14-Inch Stir-Fry Pan with Helper Handle and Glass CoverWoks & Stir-Fry Pans)