Chiffonade is a culinary term used to describe a technique where herbs or leafy green veggies are stacked, rolled up tightly, and sliced thinly. Of course the Brussels sprouts don’t need to be rolled up since they are already in little balls, but when they are sliced thinly and sautéed in bacon fat, rather than being boiled whole, they are suddenly transported to a higher sphere.
Most of the preparation for this fancy (but quick and easy) vegetable can be done a day or two ahead; the Brussels sprouts can be sliced and refrigerated two or three days ahead. The sliced almonds can be toasted a week or more ahead, and the bacon can be cooked and drained a day ahead; save the drippings in the skillet to quickly sauté the vegetable just before serving.
2 pounds Brussels sprouts
1/2 pound bacon, finely diced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted in a 350° oven for 8-10 minutes until lightly browned
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Wash the Brussels sprouts, pull off any yellow or ugly outside leaves, and cut off the stems.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the Brussels sprouts into very thin slices (between 1/16th and 1/8th of an inch).
- Separate the slices with your fingers.
- Meanwhile, place the bacon in a large (at least 12") skillet; cook the bacon over medium to medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until it is very crisp. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon from the pan to drain on paper towels. Reserve the fat in the skillet.
- Sprinkle with salt (to keep the sprouts bright green), and stir- until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked bacon, almonds, and pepper; stir to mix.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings, and serve immediately.
Just before serving, reheat the bacon fat until hot over medium heat; add the Brussels sprouts to the pan.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 172 Calories from Fat 89
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 52% Protein 20% Carb. 28%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 8 mg
Sodium 479 mg
Total Carbohydrate 12 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 9 g
Vitamin A 20% Vitamin C 167% Calcium 0% Iron 12%