½ lb boneless pork loin
2 green onions
¼ piece fresh ginger
2 tbsp sherry
2 cups chicken broth
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
2 tbsp peanut oil
1 tsp pre chopped garlic
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp sweet flour paste (Tian Mian Jiang)
1 tbsp hot bean paste
1 tsp sugar
- Remove all of the fat from the pork. Cut it into large 3 inch chunks and then place them in a large pot.
- Rinse the green onions under cold running water and dry them with paper towels. Cut of the ends and about an inch from the top of the greens and discard. Then cut the remaining stalks in half so that you have 4 long pieces. Then add them to the pork.
- Using a knife or a spoon, remove the skin from the ginger. Then slice it into about 4 slices and place them in the pot with the pork.
- Add the sherry and chicken broth. Then if needed, add enough water to completely cover the pork pieces. Bring this to a boil, then turn the heat to low and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the pork simmers, prepare the other ingredients. Cut both the red and green peppers in half and remove their stems, seeds, and inner white meat.
- Then rinse the halves under cold running water and dry them with paper towels. Cut each of the halves into 1 inch pieces and set them aside.
- In a large cup, mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce and set it aside.
- Once the pork has simmered for 20 minutes, remove the pieces from the pot and set them on a rack to cool and dry, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- When the pork is cool, if it is still wet, blot it with paper towels. Then slice the chunks into thin 1½ inch long slices and set them aside.
- Next, heat a wok on high. Once hot, add just 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot, add the garlic and let it cook for about 30 seconds. Then add the pork slices and stir fry them for 1 minute.
- Add the red and green pepper and stir fry everything for another 2 minutes. Then remove everything from the wok, place it on a plate and set it aside.
- Return the wok to the heat and add the remaining tablespoon of peanut oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the sauce mixture and stir fry for about 20 seconds.
- Then return the pork and peppers to the wok and stir until everything is thoroughly coated with the sauce.
- Remove it from the heat and serve. This is perfect over white steamed rice. Makes 2 to 3 servings.