To watch a video for these instructions click here.
2 medium carrots
¼ piece fresh ginger
1 large green onion
½ head of broccoli
4 oz sugar snap peas
4oz sliced white button mushrooms
4oz canned bamboo
8oz wide lo mein noodles
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp stir fry oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp shao hsing wine
½ cup stock (chicken or vegetable)
1 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp sugar
- Start by preparing all of the vegetables. First peel the carrots and cut off the large ends and discard. Then cut the smaller ends on a diagonal and discard them as well. Continue cutting the carrots on a diagonal into thin slices. Set these slices aside.
- Using a knife, remove the peel from the ginger. Then dice it into small pieces and set them aside.
- Rinse the green onion under cold running water and dry it thoroughly with a paper towel. Then cut off the white base and about an inch from the top of the greens and discard. Then cut the remaining stalk into thin slices and set them aside.
- Rinse the broccoli under cold running water and dry it with paper towels. Then cut the florets off of the stalk. Break up any large florets into smaller pieces and set them aside.
- Rinse the sugar snap peas under cold running water and dry them thoroughly in a colander.
- Place the mushrooms in a colander and lightly rinse them under cold running water. Then use a paper towel to dry them thoroughly.
- Open and drain the can of bamboo and measure out 4oz (usually half of the can.)
- After all the vegetables are prepared, then it’s time to start the noodles. Fill a large pot with water, add the salt and bring it to a boil.
- Once the water boils, add the noodles and let them cook for about 7 minutes, or until “al dente.”
- While the noodles cook, prepare the sauce. In a large cup mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce. Stir until the cornstarch dissolves completely and then set it aside.
- When the noodles are “al dente” drain them thoroughly in a colander. Then add just one of the tablespoons of stir fry oil and mix it in thoroughly. This prevents the noodles from sticking together.
- Next, heat a wok on high. Once it’s hot add the remaining 2 tablespoons of stir fry oil.
- When the oil is hot add the ginger and the green onion. Stir fry them for about 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Then add the carrots, broccoli, sugar snap peas, and white button mushrooms. Stir fry these vegetables for 1 minute and then add in the bamboo. Stir fry everything for 3 more minutes.
- Then add the noodles and lightly toss them with the vegetables.
- Next, add the sauce and stir fry for 1 minute or until all of the noodles are thoroughly coated with the sauce. Serve immediately. Makes about 4 servings.
For a quick and easy lo mein recipe that uses frozen stir fry vegetables, eliminating much of the prep work, click here.