1 cup walnuts
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cold butter, (1 1/2 sticks), cut in pieces
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 cup granulated sugar
1 pinch salt
2/3 cup water
4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 tablespoons powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Line a 9 x 13" baking dish with parchment, or spray with non-stick spray.
- Place the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven to cool.
- Crust: Measure the sugar, flour, and salt into the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse 2 or 3 times to mix.
- Add the walnuts and butter; process until the walnuts are finely ground and the butter is incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and press down evenly.
- Bake 20 minutes while preparing the topping.
- Filling: while crust is baking whisk together the cocoa and the granulated sugar in a small saucepan.
- Whisk in the water until smooth; turn the heat to medium high, add the butter, and whisk until the mixture comes to a boil and the butter is melted.
- Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the eggs drop by drop, whisking constantly until well combined;whisk in the vanilla.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the baked crust and return the pan to the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the topping is set.
- Remove from the oven and sift the powdered sugar over.
- Cool thoroughly before cutting into bars.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 106 Calories from Fat 54
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 51% Protein 6% Carb. 43%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 28 mg
Sodium 126 mg
Total Carbohydrate 12 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 3 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 2%