What are the advantages of making Momís Brownie Mix at home? Besides the fact that itís much cheaper to make this mix at home (and who isnít looking to save money?), organic ingredients may be used. In addition, making the mix from scratch will insure that fresh ingredients are used; who really knows how long those store-bought mixes have been sitting on the grocery shelves, or how long the mixes were in the grocerís warehouse before appearing on the shelves? Who really knows how long the ingredients sat before they were manufactured and packaged? Once packed to ship, how long did they sit in a warehouse before they were actually shipped to the store ? You get the picture!
4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups cocoa
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups shortening
- Mix sugar, cocoa, salt, and flour in bowl.
- Cut in shortening until the mixture looks like cornmeal.
- Store the Brownie Mix in an airtight container in a cool dry place; it will keep 4-6 months.
For cake-like brownies, use a little more mix; for gooey brownies, use a little less. Both ways, the mix makes quick great brownies
2 1/2 cups Mom's Brownie Mix
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat the oven to 350į.
- Spray an 8 x 8" square baking pan with non-stick spray (or for thinner brownies, spray a 9 x 9" square pan).
- Mix the brownie mix with the eggs, and vanilla; add the nuts and stir well.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake 15 - 20 minutes or until set. Do not overbake.
- Cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, or frost with chocolate frosting.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 175 Calories from Fat 69
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 40% Protein 5% Carb. 56%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 35 mg
Sodium 136 mg
Total Carbohydrate 24 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%
For other recipes using Mom's Brownie Mix, click on the following links:
Brownies! Cookies! Brownies!
More Brownie Mix Variations