I recently watched an episode of the show Man vs. Food. A restaurant featured on the show served a milk shake blended with a piece of coffee cake. I decided I needed to duplicate this at home. The result is delicious. Food shows give great ideas to try at home. Bake your own coffee cake or go with store bought. The coffee cake recipe featured here is very easy to make and is delicious on its own.
Cinnamon and Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake Recipe
Makes a 9x13 cake
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease a 9x13 pan.
3. In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and sugar.
4. Cut the butter into the flour mixture. You want the mixture to resemble crumbs. To cut butter into flour you want to start by cutting really cold butter into small cubes. Add it to the flour and then use a pastry blender to work the butter into the flour until crumbs form. You may also use a food processor. Another method that I have not tried but recently read was grating the butter into the flour. Next freeze it for several minutes. Then work the butter into the flour.
5. Add the egg, milk, and vanilla.
6. Stir until just combined.
7. Spread into the prepared pan.
8. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the batter.
9. Set aside and make the streusel.
10. Combine the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl.
11. Cut in the butter. Again you want this to resemble crumbs.
12. Sprinkle over the batter.
13. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Coffee Cake Milk Shake Recipe
Makes 4 servings
4 cups vanilla ice cream
1 cup milk
1/4 cup chocolate syrup
2 pieces of coffee cake
Optional: 1/2 cup vodka
1. Add all the ingredients to a blender.
2. Blend well. There should be chunks of coffee cake even after blending. You may want to serve with a spoon.
3. Pour into 4 glasses.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!