If using the Nesco or Fagor 3-in 1 slow cooker (one of the best timesaving appliances on the market), the sausages can be browned right in the pot, saving on a pan to wash. However, any 4-6 quart slow cooker will work well. Also, the recipe calls for half mild sausages and half hot sausages; the hot sausages add flavor and a little spiciness to the sauce, but all mild sausages may be used according to personal preference.
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 mild Italian sausages (about 1 1 1/2 – 2 pounds)
6 hot Italian Sausages (about 1 1/2 - 2 pounds)
2 red onions, cut in half and sliced very thin
2 red bell peppers, quartered then cut into thin slices
2 green bell peppers, quartered then cut into thin slices
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 14 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add the sausages and brown on all sides over high heat.
- Transfer the sausages to the slow cooker.
- Cover the sausages with the onions, peppers, garlic, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, fennel, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours.
- If the mixture has a lot of liquid near the end of cooking, turn the slow cooker to high and set the lid a little to the side to allow for evaporation.
- Serve over hot polenta, pasta, or on crispy Italian buns.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 328 Calories from Fat 224
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 68% Protein 23% Carb. 9%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 25 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 71 mg
Sodium 1036 mg
Total Carbohydrate 7 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 19 g
Vitamin A 16% Vitamin C 66% Calcium 0% Iron 9%
For more information or to purchase a 3 in 1 slow cooker, steamer, pressure cooker from Amazon:
Fagor 670040230 Stainless-Steel 3-in-1 6-Quart Multi-Cooker
Nesco American Harvest PC-6-25-30TPR 6-Quart Multifunction Digital Pressure Cooker