The Polenta can be cooked right along with the short ribs in a separate slow cooker, so everything can be finished at the same time. Crusty Italian bread and a quick prepackaged salad with a favorite bottled dressing can be added for a well-balanced meal.
1 teaspoon olive oil
3 pounds beef short ribs, preferably bone-in if available
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 cups baby carrots
1/4 cup dehydrated onion flakes
2 sprigs fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried
1 cup dry red wine
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
2 10 3/4 ounce cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 10 3/4 ounce can condensed cream of celery soup
- If using a 3-in 1 slow cooker, brown the short ribs in the pot; otherwise, brown them in another pan and place them in a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
- Sprinkle them with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Add the carrots, dry onion flakes, rosemary, and red wine.
- Sprinkle the dry onion soup mix evenly over, then spread the soups over all.
- Cover and cook 4-6 hours on low, until the meat is tender.
- Just before serving, stir well.
- Serve over warm polenta.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 515 Calories from Fat 271
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 53% Protein 32% Carb. 15%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 30 g
Saturated Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 113 mg
Sodium 1406 mg
Total Carbohydrate 20 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 41 g
Vitamin A 160% Vitamin C 9% Calcium 0% Iron 29%
For more information or to purchase a 3 in 1 slow cooker, steamer, pressure cooker from Amazon:
Fagor 670040230 Stainless-Steel 3-in-1 6-Quart Multi-Cooker
Nesco American Harvest PC-6-25-30TPR 6-Quart Multifunction Digital Pressure Cooker