Happy Valentine's Day from the 'Cooking for Kids' site at BellaOnline! Surprise your loved ones with this awesomely delicious (and healthy) Cheese Quesadilla & Fruit Salsa recipe! The kids will love it! And it's pretty, too!
*What you'll need:
Heart shaped cookie cutters
Large non-stick skillet
Good kitchen sheers
whole grain flour tortillas
real cheese (not cheese product! Use sharp cheddar, sliced gouda, sliced swiss, sliced jack, or goat cheese)
Coconut oil (or Grape Seed oil)
1 cup mix of fresh berries: Strawberries, blueberries, black berries, raspberries
1/4 cup finely chopped mango
2 to 3 mint leaves (optional)
Fresh grated coconut
1) In a medium sized bowl, combine chopped mango, berries, and 1 minced mint leaf. Mix well. Store in refrigerator until ready to use. You can add any combo of fruits or berries in this salsa. Pineapple is also a great option.
1) Heat skillet on low heat. While skillet is heating, lightly spread 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil onto 1 side only of the whole grain tortilla. Place oiled side-down in pan. Add cheese to cover the tortilla, and place the second tortilla (oiled side up) over the first tortilla-cheese layer.
2) Turn up heat to medium-low. Allow the first side to cook for about 2 minutes, checking frequently to make sure tortilla is not burning. When tortilla looks nice and golden brown, carefully flip it over.
3) Cook an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat when browned.
4) Lay a sheet of wax paper on your kitchen counter top. Place quesadilla on top of the wax paper. Using your valentine shaped cookie cutters, cut out heart shaped mini-quesadillas. If you are using plastic cookie cutters, you may need to use your kitchen sheers to finish cutting out the hearts.
5) Arrange heart shaped mini quesadillas onto a pretty plate. Top with Fruit Salsa, a pinch of shredded coconut, and top with a pretty mint leaf. You're done! Serve your special dish to your valentine!