To watch a video for these instructions click here
2 lbs lean pork (4 to5 pork chops)
2 tsp cornstarch
Peanut oil for frying
2 tbsp stir fry oil
5oz bagged pre shredded carrots
½ tsp salt
1 ½ tbsp sherry
1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp oil
½ cup chicken broth
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp ground ginger
1 tsp crushed red pepper
- Remove all of the fat from the pork and then cut it into thin slices. Place these slices in a container that has a tight fitting lid.
- To the pork, add the marinade in the following order. First add the salt and using your hand, mix it in thoroughly. Then add the sherry and stir until it is completely incorporated. Next, add the cornstarch and again use your hand to mix it in, making sure to coat each piece of meat. Then stir in the oil, cover, and let it marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- While the pork marinates, prepare the other ingredients. In a large cup mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce. I often like to use a mix of crushed red pepper and Szechuan peppercorns, however they are sometimes difficult to find.
- Once the sauce is mixed, set it aside. Then prepare the thickener. Mix the 2 teaspoons of cornstarch with a little water just until it dissolves.
- To a wok add a one inch layer of peanut oil and heat it on high.
- When the oil is hot, add the pork and let it cook for 30 seconds to a minute, or until cooked through. While cooking, stir to break up the pieces that may stick together from the marinade.
- Once the pork is cooked remove it from the wok and place it on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Next, remove all of the peanut oil from the wok. Then add the 2 tablespoons of stir fry oil and heat it on high. Stir fry oil already has the flavors of ginger, garlic and onion infused in it.
- When the oil is hot, add the carrots and stir fry them for 2 minutes.
- Then return the pork to the wok and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Next, add the sauce and stir until it is thoroughly mixed in and begins to come to a boil.
- Once it starts to come to a boil, add the cornstarch mixture. Stir until the sauce thickens.
- Then remove it from the heat and serve. Makes 3 to 4 servings.