One of my first time baking brownies was as a kid using an Easy Bake Oven, and resulted in disaster after leaving the spatula in the oven. Thankfully, other than a ruined spatula, the brownies were quite good—at least from this young, inspiring chef's point of view. I can’t say the adults agreed, but I digress.
While I’m not longer a kid, I still love creating new recipes, including this one for Chocolate Gold Brownies. The inspiration for this recipe came from two of my favorite recipes, Chocolate Candy Bar Brownies and Gold Rush Brownies. After having a hard time deciding which treat I was going to bake, I combined them both for a delicious and new (to me) recipe.
The combination of chocolate graham cracker crumbs, milk chocolate chips and chocolate candy bars provides enough chocolate sweetness for a month, though you could always add a layer of your favorite chocolate frosting if desired.
Chocolate Gold Brownie Recipe
2 cups chocolate (or regular) graham cracker crumbs
1 6-oune bag of milk chocolate chips
˝ cup of pecans (optional)
1 13-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
1 bag of mini chocolate candy bars with almonds (or without, depending on preference)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spray a brownie pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients: graham cracker crumbs, chocolate chips, and pecans if using.
4. Slowly whisk in the sweetened condensed milk into the dry ingredients.
5. Pour the brownie mixture into the pan.
6. Unwrap the mini chocolate candy bars, and place evenly over the brownie mixture.
7. Bake for 30 minutes, until cooked through and candy bars are soft or melted into the cooked brownies.
1. To save preparation time, you can substitute six large candy bars in place of the mini candy bars.
2. As mentioned above, there are plenty of chocolate flavors happening in this recipe, from the chocolate graham cracker crumbs to the milk chocolate chips and candy bars. However, if you need a little more chocolate goodness, spread a layer of your favorite chocolate frosting on top of the brownies.