Basic Cream Pie Filling
1 8" or 9" pie depending on which variation you use
2 cups milk, divided
1/3 cup flour or 1/4 cup cornstarch
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 8" or 9" baked pie shell
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of the milk into a large microwaveable container and microwave on high to boiling, 4-6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the flour or cornstarch and sugar together until well-mixed.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup milk, salt, and eggs; whisk until smooth.
- Whisk the milk/egg/sugar mixture into the hot milk until smooth.
- Microwave, stirring every two minutes or so until it boils (a single batch takes about 3 minutes; a double batch 4-5, depending on your microwave).
- Stir in the butter and vanilla.
- Pour into a cooled pie shell, and place a piece of plastic wrap directly touching the filling (to avoid a skin forming)
- Chill at least 4 hours.
- Banana Cream: stir in 3 or 4 sliced bananas
- Butterscotch Cream: Use brown sugar instead of white and increase butter to 3 tablespoons
- Caramel Cream: Heat 1/4 cup of the sugar till it turns dark brown; stir into the cooked filling
- Coconut Cream: Stir in 1 cup flaked coconut; top with whipped cream and toasted coconut
- Chocolate Cream: Increase sugar to 1 cup. Add 1-2 squares unsweetened chocolate along with the milk
- Date Cream: Stir in 1/2 cup chopped dates
- Pineapple Cream: Stir in 1/2 cup well-drained crushed pineapple
- Peach Cream: Stir in 1 cup drained sliced peaches
- Cherry Cream: Pour filling into shell and let chill. Spread 1 can cherry pie filling on top (use 9" pie shell)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 163 Calories from Fat 56
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 34% Protein 9% Carb. 57%
Nutrient Amount per
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 69 mg
Sodium 221 mg
Total Carbohydrate 23 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 1%