Cranberry Walnut Jellies can be made up to a month ahead. The batch makes a lot, so they can be sampled often from Thanksgiving right through the new year. As an added bonus, these holiday candies are lower in fat and calories than most traditional homemade candies; they’ll be popular when added to care packages (they travel well) and cookie or candy trays.
72 3/4” square candies
2 16 oz. cans jellied cranberry sauce
2 3 oz. packages orange gelatin
2 3 oz. packages lemon gelatin
2 cups sugar
3 cups toasted chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups sugar, for rolling
- Line a 13 x 9 inch pan with foil, bringing the foil up over two of the sides; spray the foil well with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Scoop the cranberry sauce into a large, heavy saucepan. Whisk in the lemon and orange gelatins and the 2 cups sugar.
- Turn the heat to medium and stir the mixture until it comes to a boil
- Scrape down the sides with a heat-proof silicone scraper.
- Whisk over the heat for another minute or two, stirring constantly, until the sugar crystals have dissolved.
- Stir in the walnuts and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth out the top with the scraper.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic wrap onto the surface of the candy.
- Refrigerate until the mixture is well-chilled and set; preferably overnight, but chilling can be sped up by placing the pan in the freezer for a few minutes (don’t let it freeze, though).
- When the mixture has set, use the foil to remove it from the pan; invert onto a cutting board and peel off the foil.
- With a sharp knife, cut the candy into 3/4 - 1" squares.
- Pour the 1 1/2 cups sugar onto a large plate.
- Roll the candy squares into the sugar, making sure each is coated on all sides.
- Store the candy at room temperature in an airtight container for up to one month.
Note: This candy tastes better if allowed to sit 3 or 4 days before serving to allow flavors to blend.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 112 Calories from Fat 28
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 25% Protein 6% Carb. 68%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 16 mg
Total Carbohydrate 19 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 10 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 12% Calcium 0% Iron 1%