Coconut milk is a great alternative for anyone who cannot or does not want to consume cow’s milk. The first recipe below is for mocha ice cream using coconut milk. The chocolate whipped cream recipe listed second also consists of coconut milk. There are many reasons people choose to use coconut milk. The two most common reasons are being lactose intolerant or following a vegan diet. Either way it is great to know there are options available. The recipes below are not vegan. However, you can easily make them vegan by replacing the regular sugar with vegan sugar and using dairy free chocolate chips. Whole Foods always has wonderful vegan options. Coconut milk has many other uses. It can be the base of a delicious pudding, a great replacement for cream in your coffee, or in place of dairy when baking.
Mocha Coconut Milk Ice Cream Recipe
3 cups of coconut milk that has been refrigerated overnight (canned coconut milk)
1/4 cups sugar
1 tablespoon instant coffee
1 tablespoon baking cocoa
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1. In a small sauce pan heat 1/2 cup of the coconut milk with the sugar, cocoa, and instant coffee.
2. Heat over low heat just until all the ingredients are dissolved in the milk.
3. Refrigerate until cold (at least for a few hours).
4. Whip the remaining coconut milk with the sweetened 1/2 cup of coconut milk with a hand mixer until combined and frothy.
5. Continue making the ice cream by following the instructions on your ice cream maker. The chocolate chips should be added during the last 5 minutes of making the ice cream in the machine.
Coconut Milk Whipped Cream Recipe
1 (14 oz. can) coconut milk that has been refrigerated overnight
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
1/4 cup of confectioner’s sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1. Chill the can of coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight.
2. In a large mixing bowl add the coconut milk, vanilla, sugar, and cocoa.
3. Whip until soft peaks form.
Chocolate whipped cream is great on pies, cake, puddings, or ice cream.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!