Guest Author - Elizabeth Brennan
If you have a full time job it is very difficult to fit in sufficient dedicated time to walk the recommended 10,000 steps per day. This is the number of steps we should take daily for health and well being. There is a solution. Use your time going to and from and during work to fit in extra steps. Here are ten suggestions to help you maximise your step count. Wear your pedometer so you can see at first hand how you are progressing. Every step counts so take every opportunity to increase your count.
1. Park your car a little further away. Doing this has an added bonus because you must walk back to it at the end of work so you get double points! If you park further away be sure to leave home a little earlier so you donít end up late for work! If you use the bus or underground get off a stop earlier.
2. Use the stairs at every opportunity instead of the elevator. Stepping up uses extra muscles so you will trim your upper thighs as you step.
3. Take the longest route possible to reach your workplace when you enter your work building.
4. When you take a toilet break choose the rest room farthest away from you and walk on the spot while drying your hands.
5. Have a walking lunch break. Check out if there is a park or some street seats in a pleasant location near your workplace and walk there for lunch. Invite your colleagues to accompany you.
6. If you need to have a work meeting with colleagues could you walk and discuss business at the same time? Suggest it. They may be just as pleased as you are to stretch their legs.
7. If you have a portable telephone could you take some phone calls while walking up and down perhaps in the corridor? If this is not possible walk on the spot behind your desk.
8. Volunteer for any errands which may take you out of the office Ė posting letters, taking items to the basement, delivering items to colleagues in other departments
9. Could you re-arrange the furniture or equipment in the workplace so you have to walk further to the photocopier, printer or phone?
10. Walk up and down while taking your coffee break.
The above suggestions may seem too simple to make any appreciable difference but you will be surprised. Be creative! You will probably come up with other ideas applicable to your own unique work situation. Encourage your work colleagues to do likewise. In this way you can all share in the healthier lifestyle.