Guest Author - Vanette (Vannie) Ryanes
Former New Jersey Governor Christie Todd Whitman Shares Her Spicy Corn Bread Recipe. Once this delicious corn bread bakes you will find yourself cutting small slivers 'just to taste it.' It may be a good idea to bake two pans, one to taste and one to serve.
Former NJ Gov. Whitman's Spicy Corn Bread
1 cup flour
1 cup corn meal
4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
1/2 stick margarine
1 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons chopped red bell pepper
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Mix together dry ingredients.
3. Add corn and red pepper.
4. Add egg and milk and stir by hand till just combined.
5. Melt margarine in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet or cake pan in the hot oven.
6. Pour the melted margarine into the batter and stir in.
7. Immediately pour into the hot skillet and bake for 25 minutes.
From: 1st Traveler's Choice Internet Cookbook at Virtual Cities.com
HINT: Serve corn bread hot with melted butter. Spoon homemade warmed salsa over a small square of warm spicy corn bread top with a sprig of parsley for a delicious and unusual appetizer.
For more information contact
Vannie@ Hot & Spicy
Vanette (Vannie) Ryanes is CEO of Spices Plus E-Zine for Women
"Who says you can't have it all?"
August 9, 2003