Guest Author - Vanette (Vannie) Ryanes
Enjoy peppers for breakfast or brunch with this Red Pepper Frittata.
2 t olive oil, divided
½ c celery, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ t oregano, dried
1 T Parmesan cheese
1 T flat-leaf parsley, chopped, fresh
½ c sweet red peppers, chopped
½ c onions, chopped
8 egg whites
1/8 t black pepper, ground
1. In a large ovenproof frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 tsp. oil.
2. Add the red peppers, celery, onions, and garlic; cook, stirring frequently
for 4 to 5 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a large bowl lightly whisk together the egg whites, parsley, oregano and black pepper. Stir in the vegetable mixture.
4 In the same frying pan over medium heat warm the remaining 1 tsp. oil. Add
the egg mixture and cook until brown around the edges.
5. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until
the eggs are set.
6. Preheat the broiler. Sprinkle the frittata with the Parmesan.
Place the pan about 5" from the heat and broil for 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden brown.
Serve cut into wedges.
Recipe from: the Produce Marketing Association (PMA) and the Produce for Better Health Foundation (PBHF).