Journaling is something we all should do more of. There are two great benefits of journaling our thoughts, feelings and memories. It's a great release for what bothers us and it's also a great way to remember the events in our lives.
Big Beautifuls is the love child of Kristine Paton. She offers prints with bold beautiful colours but what I really like is the journal, an awesome gift with inspirational quotes. This is a lovely book for venting and storing memories.
You can purchase them from her site: $24.00 Can/$18.00 US shipping included (I just love items with shipping included!).
10 journaling tips
1. Have a different book for different reasons. One just to vent, one for a diary, and one for your more creative side.
2. Free write. Set a timer for 10 minutes and write about what ever comes into your head. This is usually jibberish and rants that wouldn't make sense to anyone but you. An excellent way to clear the head when stressed.
3. Use a nice pen. Nice pens flow evenly and allow your hand to move across the paper unhampered, reducing cramps.
4. Keep personal stuff personal. Some stuff should not be shared with others. Especially vents about people.
5. Try journaling in different places. Out on the porch, at the park, coffee shop, or in the bathtub.
6. If you feel like you can't absolutely write anything, use a prompt. Open up a book at random and point to a sentence. Start off the sentence on a fresh page and continue on with your own thoughts. There are also lots of prompt sites out there. Here is a year of archived prompts to keep you going.
7. Live outside the box. How you should journal isn't carved in stone. They're your thoughts; write them down how you want. If you want to use short sentences, no capitals or punctuation. Go for it. Your English teacher won't have her red pen out.
8. Carry a notebook with you throughout the day when you can't journal to make short notes of things you want to write about later. We tend to get busy with the day and many thoughts become fleeting and disappear into the thought pit, never to resurface.
9. Do have a secure private place for your most secure thoughts. Prying eyes will always be curious and as mentioned before, some things should not be shared.
10. If it doesn't continue to be fun take a break. Make your own schedule for writing. If you write every day - great. Every couple days - great. Once a month - still great. You're doing it for you.